@

Friday, June 10, 2011

No spark on 2000 Kawasaki vulcan 1500 classic

The only valid test for the igniter is to replace it with a known good one. The single most common cause of no spark on that model is a problem with the anti theft circuit in the ignition switch. Check the gray wire from the ignition switch to the igniter. It should show 9 dc volts with the switch on. Check it at the switch and then again at the connector at the igniter. The igniter must see 9 dc volts from this wire or the coils will not spark.


Now here is something interesting. I have ground on the '-' side of the coil until I turn the ignition switch on. At that point no ground and I believe that is the way it should be until the ignitor pulses the coil. However, the ignitor NEVER pulses the coil when the engine is turning over. This is the same with either coil and with the original ignitor and the new one.

I know the ignitor is getting pulses from the pickups but that is where my capability of testing ends, as I have no idea how to test the ignitor itself.

See fig below to test



This is a pic from the factory manual on testing the IC ignitor

@