@

Sunday, June 19, 2011

chevy pickup extended cab rear door won't open?

You need to disassemble the door panel from inside to inspect the fault causing this problem:---

The power windows, mirror and heated seats.

The door panel has controls for all these features, which means there will be some electrical connectors inside the door.

Inside view of driver's door, 2002 Chevrolet Silverado pickup.


-----------

First remove the mirror cover by prying on the upper area of the cover until heard or felt the clips release.

Removing mirror access cover.
------------

Related Procedure -
Removing The Side Mirror:

If you want to remove the side view mirror, remove the foam sound deadener (red arrow).


------------

Next disconnect the wire harness. Then with a 10mm. socket I would remove the three nuts used to mount the mirror to the door shell.
Disconnecting power mirror wiring.


--------

Removing The Door Panel:---

start by removing the manual door lock lever. Pry up at one end and push the trim ring forward.



----------

Re-Assembly Notes:

When I replaced the manual lock lever I make sure to insert the bent part of the rod in the slide hole of the back of the lever.

-------------

Re-Assembly Notes:

When I replaced the manual lock lever I make sure to insert the bent part of the rod in the slide hole of the back of the lever.

------------

Next I started to remove the switch control panel by prying up on the side of the panel releasing the clips.
Removing switch panel on driver's door, Chevy pickup.

-----------

To unplug the mirror control switch, I pushed on the white tab at end of the wire connector and pulled.

=------------

Next I pressed with my thumb on the wire connector tab and pulled the wire from the window switch.

Then I removed the wire connector from the door lock switch.



-------------

With a 7mm socket I removed the screw hidden behind the switch panel.

Removing hidden screw in door panel, 2002 Chevrolet pickup.

-------------

I then removed the 7mm screwfrom underneath the pull handle. This is just above the door release handle.

Removing screws in Silverado door panel.

------------

Next I removed the cover from around the door release handle. I pried from the side shown by the red arrow.

Removing door handle trim on Chevy truck.

------------

Then I maneuvered the cover off the handle.

-------------

Removing marker light on inside of door on Chevy C/K 1500.I removed the interior light from the panel by prying on the lower end of the light.

I disconnected the wire by prying on the small tab and pulling on the wire.Disconnecting courtesy light on GM pickup truck.

Lifting Off The Door Panel:

Once all the fasteners and accessible electrical connections had been removed, I lifted the door panel upward to unhook it from the metal door shell.



Then I discovered that a speaker wire and the wire for the heated seat also needed to be disconnected.Disconnecting wiring for speakers and heated seats, Chevrolet pickup.

Chevy truck door with door panel removed.View of metal door shell and dust cover.

View of back side of plastic door panel.Door panel, back view, 2002 to 2007 Chevy pickup.

Removing The Rear Door Panel:

Rear door panel on extended cab Chevrolet pickup truck.Rear door panel of extended cab Chevy .

First I removed the cover from the door release lever by prying up on the top end of the cover, which released the mounting clips.Removing trim around rear door handle on Chevy pickup.

Then I pushed upward, which released the hooks on the bottom of the cover.

The red arrow points to the mounting clips, which are different from the hooks (green arrow) which anchor the bottom.

With a 7mm socket I removed the screw from the bottom of the cup holder. Removing screws on Chevy door panel.

Fastener in door pull, Chevy extended cab truck.Next I removed the 7mm screwfrom the bottom of the pull handle.

Starting at the top of the window, I used a rigid putty knife to pry the plastic panel from the door.Prying away door panel on back door of Chevy pickup.

By pulling and prying I was able to release the plastic panel from the metal door shell.


View of metal door shell and dust cover.Inside view of rear door on Chevy extended cab pickup.



---------------
Rear door panel, extended cab GM truck.View of back side of plastic door panel





@